- September 22, 2020
- Posted by: admin
- Category: Uncategorized
If you have a license, but you do not own a car, you might still need some form of car insurance. This is mainly because you might rent a car or borrow it from someone for a day or two. When you’re renting a car, you must ensure that you have liability insurance that will protect you and the asset from an accidental lawsuit.
When you get into an accident with a rented car, non-owner car insurance will come in handy. It is a safe method for drivers who do not own a vehicle to acquire auto liability insurance. This type of coverage pays for the damaged car when you borrow or rent it.
What Does Non-Owner Car Insurance Cover?
If you run into an accident or a collision while driving a rented car, your non-owner car insurance will cover:
- Any bodily injuries that you cause to the victims of the accident
- Damage caused to any other vehicle, car repair bills, and property damage
- Legal defense if you end up getting sued for the accident
Moreover, you might also receive medical coverage with your non-owner car insurance policy. But it is highly dependent on the plan offered by your insurance company. The coverage might include:
- Coverage for uninsured motorist: This coverage will pay for your medical expenses if someone collides into you, and they do not have liability insurance. This will also cover any hit-and-run accidents.
- Medical Payments: This coverage will pay for yours and your passenger’s medical expenses regardless of who caused the accident.
You also need to know that non-owner car insurance is a secondary form of coverage. This means that if you borrowed the car from a friend, their coverage would pay first until its limit. If their policy’s limit is then exhausted, your non-owner car insurance will come in action.
What’s Not Covered By Non-Owner Car Insurance?
While your non-owner car insurance is designed to cover primary liability insurance requirements, there are some standard exceptions that every insurance company makes. Here are some:
- Damage to the car that you were driving: This means that this insurance policy doesn’t equate to collision and comprehensive insurance. It won’t cover any instances of theft, floods, fires, riots, hails, vandalism, collision with falling objects and animals. If someone else runs into the car that you were driving, they’ll have to file a claim for their collision and comprehensive insurance and cover for the damage that they caused.
- Injuries you suffer in an accident: The standard non-owner car insurance won’t cover any personal injuries. You might have to add medical payments coverage separately in your policy.
Looking For Insurance Policies In Springfield, MA?
We provide an exceptional range of insurance services here at West Mass Auto Insurance. Our services include home and apartment insurance, cheap car insurance Springfield MA, full services insurance, and commercial vehicle insurance. You can call us at (413) 781-3800 to receive a free quote or talk to our Insurance advisor Springfield MA!