- September 7, 2014
- Posted by: admin
- Categories: Auto Insurance, blog, Commercial Vehicle Insurance, Driver Info, Insurance Claims, Insurance Coverages, Miscellaneous, Motorcycle Insurance, Teen Drivers
What to do if you have a car insurance claim is something you should know. This is very important information that would be required if you needed to file a claim with the insurance company and remember there is a long List of Mass Auto Insurance Companies to choose from.
Car insurance is funny – it is something required by law – so you have to pay for it – but you never want to use it! If you “use” your car insurance this means you are involved in an incident of some type – you are filing a claim.
If You are Involved in an Accident
- Call the police.
- Get the other person’s information – see their driver’s license.
- Write down their license plate number.
- If you have a smartphone or camera take pictures of the damage – to both cars.
- Call your insurance agent/company to report the claim.
- Get a claim number and write down the name of the person you are talking to at the insurance company and get their direct phone number.
- Ask the claim rep any questions you have. Rental car? When will it be appraised for the damage?
- Keep in touch with the claims rep, don’t let time pass without contact and cooperate with them – if you are entitled to get paid this will help you get paid quicker.
If Your Car is Stolen
- Call the police. If it is to be recovered it is usually within the first 72 hours – after that, you will want to think about what you want to do.
- You can cancel the insurance on the car by canceling your plates.
- If you are going to get another car within 2-4 weeks – you may want to keep your insurance going – if not it might be wiser to cancel – up to you.
The key to a claims situation – is to be cooperative and polite. It is important to know what to do if you have a car insurance claim. Follow up with your claims rep until you get the claim resolved.
Good luck but I hope you never have a claim!