- October 1, 2014
- Posted by: admin
- Categories: Auto Insurance, blog, Commercial Vehicle Insurance, Driver Info, Insurance Coverages, Miscellaneous
Not All Auto Insurance Is the Same
A personal auto insurance policy generally won’t cover damage to your car if you’re using it for business purposes. So the question is, can I use my personal vehicle for business purposes?
Even if your personal policy has “business-use” coverage, you may find yourself at a loss when an accident happens, especially if your liability limits are not high enough to cover the damage. Make sure you’re protected.
Call Western Mass Auto Insurance to get a Commerce Auto Insurance Quote and to ask these questions:
How do you define “commercial use?” Some insurers may simply define it as transporting goods for compensation or a fee. That could include services like:
- pizza and newspaper delivery
- door-to-door consulting services
- landscaping or snowplowing services
- day care/church van services
Even real estate agents may qualify. Fall in to one of these categories? Consider a commercial vehicle policy.
Is Commercial Vehicle Insurance Right for You?
Here are some questions to ask to determine if commercial auto insurance is right for you.
• What are my liability limits? In general, a commercial auto policy can offer higher liability limits. Larger vehicles, like delivery vans, can cause more damage than passenger cars.
• Does my personal policy cover me for issues specific to my business? For example, if you have a trailer that damages another vehicle while on a job, a personal liability policy may not cover the repairs. A commercial policy will.
• Do I have employees who drive my vehicles? In general, if other people drive your vehicles for work, you need a commercial auto policy.
You also a need commercial auto policy if your vehicle hauls tools or equipment weighing more than 500 pounds, makes deliveries, or requires filings for interstate for for-hire trucking businesses.
Want to learn more about the differences between personal and commercial auto insurance policies and know can I use my personal vehicle for business purposes?
Then call Western Mass Auto Insurance today.