- September 16, 2014
- Posted by: admin
- Categories: Auto Insurance, blog, Driver Info, RMV Info, Teen Drivers
Getting your license for the first time is a straightforward process in Massachusetts. Whether you are a young new driver, an older new driver or have just moved to Massachusetts – the RMV will assist you in getting your license.
Then once you have your license you will get a car and car insurance – but you want to make 100% sure you can afford it because you never want your Car Insurance Cancelled for Non Payment.
Here is how to get your license:
License Eligibility Requirements
To get a a MA driver’s license, you must:
• Be a Massachusetts resident.
• Be at least 18 years old.
• Have already obtained a MA learner’s permit.
• Pass a written test, driving test, and vision screening.
Massachusetts Learner’s Permit
You must get a learner’s permit before you can apply for a new driver’s license. The permit allows you to learn and practice driving while accompanied by a licensed driver.
Your Massachusetts learner’s permit will be valid for 2 years.
Apply for a Learner’s Permit
You must apply for a learner’s permit in person at a MA RMV office. You will need:
1. A completed application.
2. Proof of your birth date, such as – Your U.S. passport, An original or certified copy of your birth certificate or your U.S. marriage certificate.
3. A document verifying your signature, such as your – U.S. passport, Social Security card or your U.S. marriage certificate.
4. Proof you are a MA resident, such as your Mortgage documents or rental agreement, your Policy paperwork for home or renters insurance or a utility bill no more than 60 days old.
5. Your Social Security number.
6. Payment for the $30 fee.
7. Passing scores on the written permit test and vision screening.
Apply for a New Massachusetts Driver’s License
To apply for a new Massachusetts driver’s license you must go in person to the RMV. You need to first apply for and pass the Massachusetts road test.
1. Contact the Massachusetts RMV at (800) 858-3926 to schedule your driving test.
2. Complete a Road Test application.
3. You will need a registered and insured vehicle – someone to come with you.
4. A sponsoring driver who is at least 21 years old, has at least 1 year of driving experience and has a valid U.S. driver’s license.
5. Payment for the $20 driving test fee.
6. Show your stamped and signed learner’s permit (after completing the driving test).
7. A completed license and ID card application.
8. Payment for the $50 new driver’s license fee.
New Massachusetts Resident?
You must exchange your out-of-state driver’s license for a Massachusetts driver’s license as soon as you become a MA resident.
To exchange your driver’s license, you will need:
1. Your out-of-state driver’s license, a photo ID AND a certified driving record no more than 30 days old.
2. Proof of your birth date, such as your – Out-of-state driver’s license, U.S. passport or Birth certificate (original or
3. Proof of your signature, such as your such as your – U.S. passport, Loan or lease documents or Marriage certificate.
4. Proof of your MA residency, such as your – Mortgage or lease paperwork, Home or renters insurance policy or
Utility bill up to 60 days old.
5. Your Social Security number.
6. Payment for the $120 fee.
Remember, the MA RMV does NOT accept photocopies of documents.
If your out-of-state driver’s license is expired, you may have to pass RMV tests to get your new MA driver’s license. Getting your license for the first time can be tricky but not if you know these steps to follow.
That’s it. Good luck!
Indian Orchard (413) 543-3800 – Forest Park (413) 781-3800