- September 16, 2014
- Posted by: admin
- Categories: blog, Driver Info, Miscellaneous
Winter comes every year and we live in Massachusetts – so you can bet – it is going to be cold! Here are some car maintenance tips for the winter.
There are certain things you can do to take care of your car in the winter and by doing this – extend the life of your car and its ability to run well. Keep your car insurance active throughout the winter and be sure not to have your car insurance cancelled for non payment.
Freezing temps, salty roads and wintery precipitation can do a number on your car unless you take a few steps.
Here are some proven suggestions:
- Check your Antifreeze ( the stuff that goes in your radiator) – Your car has a 50/50 mix of antifreeze and water – make sure the level is full and that the 50/50 mix is about right.
- Inspect your Tires – Check the tread – anything less than 1/8th of an inch should be replaced. Don’t mess with tire safety – this is very important in the winter months. Also check your tire pressure every couple of weeks – the cold nights and days can deflate your tires a bit.
- Check and/or Replace your Wipers – The heavy accumulations that can fall can wreck havoc on cheap wipers – maker sure you have a quality pair on for the winter. Also, as the snow melts there will be puddles of sand, salt and slush and you can bet this stuff will end up on your windshield – a good set of wipers will wash it all away.
- Check your Windshield Washer Fluid – You will be using alot of this stuff to clean off your windshield so be sure to check it every week or so.
- Check and clean your Battery Posts and Connections – We all know how cold it gets in the winter – so be sure your battery is working properly for those cold morning start ups.
- Don’t forget about your engine Oil – Check it every few weeks – and change it is necessary – this is a great way to keep your engine running smoothly.
In addition drive carefully in the winter. Always leave plenty of room between you and the next car.
When you start your car in the morning – don’t just take off – let the engine heat up for a few minutes – this will extend the life of your engine and make for a smoother ride. Use this tip along with the other car maintenance tips for the winter.
Indian Orchard (413) 543-3800 Forest Park (413) 781-3800