Car Insurance Frequently Asked Questions

As you are buying car insurance these are the car insurance frequently asked questions that will help save you time and money.

Are Car Insurance Quotes Free?

Yes, at our agency they are free with no pressure or obligation. We will give you our best possible price for your situation. If you already have a good price we will tell you that as well. Call us now at (413) 543-3800 or (413) 781-3800

What information should I have ready when I call for a quote?

Drivers license number, VIN# of vehicle with year, make and model and type of coverage you are looking for.

Do you take good drivers?

Why of course! WE can offer you a great price through Liberty Mutual. Including low down payments and different payment options.

Do you take new drivers?

Yes, we have very good programs for new drivers. However, it is expensive no matter how you slice it – after the first year your rate will go down as long as you have no incidents on your driving record.

Do you take “old” drivers?

Yes, if you are over 65 there is an additional discount and rates are very low.

Do you take bad drivers?

Yes, we have several different options for those with a bad driving record – including lower down payment six month policies.

What if my auto insurance was cancelled for non payment? 

We have two different options for you. We will finance the policy so you do not have to pay the whole thing for the year – plus we can offer a low down payment six month policy.

How do I cancel my policy?

Two ways in Massachusetts –

  1. Cancel your license plates and tell us you have done this
  2. Get insurance at a different agency.

Do you have low down payments?

Yes, depending on your driving record and how long you have been driving – call us for a quote.

How long is the insurance term?

Policies go for one year or six months.

How much are plates and registration?

License plates and Registration are $60.

How much is a title?

Titles are $75

How about sales tax?

Tax is based on the value of your car 6.25% of the NADA value. If you get the car as a “gift” there can either be $25 in tax or no tax at all.

At what age can I apply for my permit?

You must be at least 16 or older.

Who needs to bring me on my permit test?

Your sponsor – a Massachusetts licensed driver 21 years of age or older.

How do I pass my driver’s road test?

Relax! Drive with confidence! And practice, practice, practice before hand. The more you practice the more confident you will be during your actual road test.

How do I schedule my road test?

Call the RMV at 1-866-627-7768

What drivers need to be on my policy?

Yourself and any other driver who either lives in your household or who regularly drives the vehicle.

How do you determine my price?

Driving record, how long you have been driving, type of car, town of residence and type of coverage.

What if I am in an accident?

Massachusetts works on a point system – if it is your fault, you can get either 3 or 4 points for an accident depending how much the insurance company pays out. This will increase your insurance cost when your policy renews.

When will my bill be due?

Typically your bill will be due 30 days from the date you open your insurance and every 30 days there after.

Are you an insurance company?

No, we are an agent. Auto insurance is sold through agents in Massachusetts.

What form of payment do you accept?

We accept cash, debit or credit card, check or money order.

How many payments do I have?

Depending on the payment method you choose – a one year auto insurance policy can either be 9, 10, 11 or 12 payments.

Six month policies have a down payment and 5 installments.

Can I bundle my car insurance with my home insurance or apartment insurance?

Yes, this will save you money on both – ask us to get you a quote.

What services do you offer as an agency?

We service your policy – added vehicles, transfers, changes to your policy, payments – all claims are handled directly by the insurance company.

What if my car is stolen?

You need to have Part 9 Comprehensive on your policy at the time the vehicle was stolen – then call the police and report it stolen – then call us and we can help you start the process with the insurance company.

What if my windshield cracks or breaks?

You need to have Part 9 Comprehensive on your policy at the time of the glass breakage – then glass breakage is covered 100%.

Do I Get My Insurance Before I Go to the Registry?

Yes, you get the car insurance first, then you go to the RMV (or you get your plates right here at our agency!) .

Do You Sell Home Insurance?

Yes we do. We have great rates with Liberty Mutual. Combine your home or apartment insurance with your auto insurance and save even more.

Should I keep a Copy of My Policy in My Car?

It is a good idea. If you are traveling out of state or into Canada you will want to have this information. Better safe than sorry.

Can I Get a Low Mileage Discount?

Mileage discounts are for those who drive less than 7500 miles a year. If you drive less than 5000 miles a year it is even a greater discount. Contact your agent for details.

When Do I Tell You if My Kid Got Their License?

As soon as they get their license is the best way. They do not have to be added while they have their permit. The law states that you must inform the insurance company within 60 days of your son or daughter getting their license.

I just changed cars – do I have to go to the RMV right away?

You have 7 days from the date you transferred ownership of your previous vehicle. This is proved by having a copy of the title front and back showing you sold the car – you have 7 days from this date.

How long is my Registration good for?

Auto – two years
Motorcycle – 1 year.

What if I lose my Title?

Duplicate titles are $25 and take 1-2 weeks to obtain. You will only need your title when you are to sell the car.

What if I lose my Registration?

Duplicate Registration is $25 available at the RMV. However if you got your registration and plates here in our agency we keep a copy of your registration on file.

What Effects the Cost of Insurance?

  1. Your driving record
  2. The town you live in
  3. Type of coverage chosen
  4. Year, make and model of vehicle

Can I Switch Insurance Companies Before My Policy Ends?

Yes, you may switch any time you want. If we get you a better price we will cancel your existing policy for you and make the switch easy and painless. We do it every day for people.

Am I Covered if I Hit a Deer or Other Animal?

Yes you are covered if you have Part 9 Comprehensive.

If you can think of any others please contact me and I will add it to these car insurance frequently asked questions.

Any Other Questions? Call Us Today @ (413)-543-3800 or (413) 781-3800